la compagnie noire Index du Forum

The Mighty Healer Thomas Holloways Victorian Patent Medic

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    la compagnie noire Index du Forum -> Section Externe -> Recrutement
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
maridaw

MessagePosté le: Lun 3 Juil - 19:15 (2017)    Sujet du message: The Mighty Healer Thomas Holloways Victorian Patent Medic Répondre en citant

Verity Holloway’s nineteenth-century cousin Thomas Holloway’s patent medicine empire was so ubiquitous, Charles Dickens commented that if you’d murdered someone with the name Holloway, you’d think their spirit had come back to torment you. Advertising as far away as the pyramids in Giza, it was said Holloway’s Ointment could cure lesions on a wooden leg.

Bottling leftover cooking grease in the kitchen of his parents’ Cornish pub, Thomas’s dubious cure-alls made him one of the richest self-made men in England. Promising to save respectable Victorian invalids ‘FROM THE POINT OF DEATH’ (his capitals), the self-proclaimed ‘Professor’ Holloway used his millions to build the enormous Gothic Holloway College and Holloway Sanatorium for the insane.

But Thomas was a man of contradictions. To his contemporaries, he was simultaneously ‘the greatest benefactor to ever live’ and no better than a general who led millions to their deaths. Aware of the uselessness of his own products, he believed the placebo effect was well worth the subterfuge and never ridiculed his customers. A ruthless businessman, he was deeply in love with his wife and cared for the education of young women.

The Mighty Healer charts Thomas’s rise and the realization of his worst fear – that rival company Beechams would one day take him over – plus the very Victorian squabbling over his fortune by his respectable and not-so-respectable relations. It draws on primary and secondary sources to ground Thomas’s life in the social issues of the day, including women’s education, Victorian mental healthcare, contemporary accounts of debtors’ gaols, and of course the patent medicine trade of the mid-Victorian period; the people who took the medicine, and those who fiercely opposed it.

The Mighty Healer: Thomas Holloway's Victorian Patent Medicine Empire free eReader touch how download reader The Mighty Healer: Thomas Holloway's Victorian Patent Medicine Empire .txt download

Losing his balance, his whole body ended up suspended from his ankle, which broke instantly, leaving him dangling there under the tearful gaze of the red-nosed boyWhat does therapy have to do with a spooky newspaper hoax? The victims of the boy or at least the real people who were captivated by the curse were working class, struggling to make ends meetEnough is enough, folks, they wrote, as if the Crying Boy were some kind of foreigner, leftie, or feministThis gauze of innocencestill appliedif you were a single man, and even if said children were unclothed (looking at you, Lewis Carroll)The papersfine arts correspondent, Paul Hooper,was relieved to report that no muffled crieswere heard as the paintings turned to ash.The South Yorkshire Fire Service were forced to issue a statement assuring the public their Crying Boys would not turn on them, but their chip pans might.The Boy wasa running joke in the fire service for years afterwardsCheese rind is a naturalprojectile, and as the five of them pelted each other with Edam wax, a blob of it flew over its targets head and hit the Crying Boy right on the noseOutings: MCM London ComicCon & Holloway College Posted on October 28, 2016 by Verity Holloway Reply HelloIll then be on the SolarStorm podcast talking about my upcoming novel PseudotoothPosted on November 12, 2016 by Verity Holloway Reply If youre anywhere near Surrey, come along to the beautiful Royal Holloway College on Monday the 14th at 5pm to help launch The Mighty Healer: Thomas Holloways Victorian Patent Medicine Empirein Crosslands bar.I might even divulge the secret pill recipe&And if you havent got your copy yet, Pen & Sword are giving away three copies over on GoodreadsHelp Centre +612 9045 4394 My Wishlist Sign In Join My Wishlist My Account Sign Out What is that? ABATTOIR.Im going to closethis years guide on an unusually festive note with Mediaeval Baebes, because if theres one thing December is good for, its putting a big blanket around your shoulders, drinking red wine and pretending to be a weatherbeaten medieval kingQUICK LINKS BOOKS EBOOKS AUDIO BOOKS DVDS MAGAZINES STATIONERY GIFT IDEAS GIFT CERTIFICATES HELP CENTRE Its online now, if you fancy reading it.A lamp with a shade of red paperI hope you like Chopin.Read a free sample and get a copyat Unsung Stories.And while Ive got you, I was on Folklore Thursday this week talking about why you should never wander off with any strange pixies.Its all fun and games until& well, ask Richard Dadd& Posted in Uncategorized Tagged Pseudotooth Leave a reply 48a4f088c3

Shop With Us Advanced Search Browse Collections Classic Browse How AbeBooks Works My Account My Orders View Basket Sell With Us Sell Books Join Our Affiliate Program Textbook Buyback About Us About AbeBooks Media Careers Privacy & Security Designated Agent Find Help Help Guide Contact Us Other AbeBooks Companies AbeBooks.co.uk AbeBooks.de AbeBooks.fr AbeBooks.it AbeBooks Aus/NZ AbeBooks.ca IberLibro.com ZVAB.com BookFinder.com Find any book at the best price FillZ.com Inventory, Repricing and Order Management Follow AbeBooks Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Blog Mostly, he was the romantic bad boy, which he hated, but there are a few surprisingfilms.Himmelskibet (A Trip To Mars)featuring a twenty-one-year-old, rather skinny Nils as a citizen of Mars, which is probably where he came from in the first place.While lacking the whimsy ofGeorges Mlis 1902 A Trip To The Moon,A Trip To Mars made in 1918 has a certain Pre-Raphaelite flavour that caught my eye.As unlikelyas it may seem, the Pre-Raphaelite link to sci-fi is something that keeps popping up
Terror in Ypsilanti: John Norman Collins UnmaskedCosmogenesis: The Chronicles of Quongo: The Skull of MulucLove That Boy: What Two Presidents, Eight Road Trips, and My Son Taught Me About a Parent's ExpectationsThe+Story+of+the+Cotton+PlantTHANK GOD FOR CATS, Starring Panda KittyThe Life of William Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester: Lord High Chancellor of England in the Reign of Henry and Founder of Magdalen College, Oxford; ... Other Authentic Evidences (Classic Reprint)The Granite Monthly, Vol. 42: A New Hampshire Magazine; Devoted to History, Biography, Literature and State Progress (Classic Reprint)Creation Of The Black Woman & Black Preachers In America Collapse Of The ChurchHow+To+Speak+And+Understand+Your+Doberman+Pinscher%27s+Hidden+Language%3A+Fun+and+Fascinating+Guide+to+The+Inner+World+of+DogsThe Mighty Franks: A Memoir

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Lun 3 Juil - 19:15 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    la compagnie noire Index du Forum -> Section Externe -> Recrutement Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation